Sunday, November 27, 2011

Old love.....

Today I decided to visit the nursing home where my fiancee's aunt is. She just had a stroke and I wanted to make sure she was doing okay. She just recently got a new roommate that they called Aunt Steffy who was 102 years old. She was such an adorable little old lady. She was confused where she was and scared because she didn't know anyone. She cried "I'm lost and I don't know how to get home." To calm her down a bit the nurse showed her a picture of her and her husband to show her she was in the right place. When she saw the picture she cried more saying "My husband, my wonderful husband. He's left me all alone in this world and I miss him terribly. Why do you have this picture?" My heart ached for her. Not only because she had Alzheimer's disease but because she longed for her husband who passed away. The tears that came down her eyes caused my eyes to water. It must be so hard losing a spouse and feeling alone in this world. My heart goes out to her and any person whose lost a spouse. So often times we don't think about having to continue the road alone and that we might not have the one we love forever...all I know is I have a new perspective on appreciating my fiancee more.

1 comment:

  1. That's a beautiful picture! I love pictures from way back in the day.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always appreciated & welcomed so feel free to comment :) Monet